Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fun Taipei Teacafe @ SS2/64 PJ

We has just finished some works in Taman Mayang and were heading back to BU. As you probably know, LDP is always jammed during rush hour & we decided to eat dinner on our way home. Picking up Daryl from Kelana Jaya's LRT station, we turned into SS2 to check out on the places to eat. Then we spotted this... Fun Taipei Teacafe! Name was odd but from the sign, you would have guessed that they serve Taiwanese food.. this newly opened outlet was situated on the same row with Nasi Kandar Pelita and it was previously occupied by V-Mum (which has moved into Tropicana Mall).

The interior was decorated with posters on the wall. A lot of IKEA's stuff were used - lightings & chairs.

Menu was huge as they provide illustration for the F&B...

I had the lemon juice as I felt very thirsty... refreshing but it lacks lemon taste!

I placed my order for 3-cup chicken set like shown in the picture. The chicken meats were served inside a claypot which was still piping hot. The gravy was rather strong with somekind of herb (forgive me for I failed to recognise the herb) and a bit oily. Some of you may not like the taste of this particular dish but I found thought that it was good. Soup was heavy on MSG while the taufu and veggie were so so only.

As for Jenn, she opted for braised minced meat (Taiwanese specialty) set that comes with soup (high on MSG too), braised taufu and egg (decent), same veggie as mine... but the main highlight was the bowl of white rice which was loaded with gravy from the braised minced pork (and of course the meat)... very appetising and I managed to steal a few mouthful of her rice... lol!!!

Daryl tried their beef noodle... according to him, the beef meat was very tender and juicy... the noodle's texture was firm and chewy while the broth was not too salty. Thumbs up from him! (don't ask my opinion coz I don't eat beef)

Leo's verdict - not the best Taiwanese food that I had... I think Fong Lye actually fares better. But the service was fast and attentive. The staffs were polite too...

12 comments:

Sean said...

even if i live to be 100 years old, i'd never be able to finish trying all the eateries at ss2. yeah, presentation-wise, i guess fong lye's food looks a bit nicer, but those eggs on your wife's set looks good

thule a.k.a leo said...

that's nonsense... of course you can :) I only live nearby...if u have time, u can look for me... we'll go for lunch or dinner on weekends.. hahaha! but wait till you are free ok?
I might have a long holiday in September due to Hari Raya... perhaps we can meet up somewhere for a meal...

Sean said...

cool, would be nice to explore PJ. so many places i wanna try. too bad u're not around on weekdays. i usually have commitments to others on weekends, but am always game for dinner on weekdays.

Rebecca Saw said...

can i jump in to this "private" conversation??? hehe
And yea Sean..excuses laa..PJ got so much food, whn ya comin over??

thule a.k.a leo said...

becky... of course you are welcome :) I don't mind meeting new friends. In fact, this is what I love to do most of the time...
and Sean... i have to tell you first that I don't have a deep pocket like you ok?? too many commitments at the moment :)

Paranoid Android said...

Ha ha... New phone, new social networking site. Have yet to explore SS2 and Damansara for food. The journey from KL always seem too daunting (an excuse, in reality I am a lazy fat slob who wants to eat quickly in KL).

Thanks for info...

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Funny how all these Taiwanese eateries have such cutesy tableware. :-)

UnkaLeong said...

Driving through SS2 itself can be a nightmare sometimes. So many new eateries there nowadays. But the old stalwarts are still there. Sun Hin Long, Wee Sang Kee..etc. Kinda miss the days where I could walk over to tar bau food. Heheh.

Chaokar said...

still prefer my hawkerfood to be cooked by the locals not those hired workers from everywhere. SunHinLoong has become liddat, i'll stick to paramount's restaurant O&S.
yeah parking is hell.

shall drop by to take a look @ ss2 for dinner tonight.

Precious Pea said...

Taiwan Bento set?? Hehe. Saw this eatery after I moved out of SS2 so i didn't have a chance to try. Sigh...suddenly i so miss SS2.

thule a.k.a leo said...

paranoid android - I stay in PJ, but I still go to KL sometimes. I don't care as long as there's good stuff to eat!

lyrical lemongrass - yeah lo...

unkaleong - traffic is a nightmare only when you are coming from Rothman roundabout and during rush hour...

chaokar - tell me how it fares

precious pea - now you are in Melbourne.. I am sure that you start to miss malaysia food

mamasoju said...

Leo, I went there in June when my bro in law back frm usa, felt cheated la... dont like the place... food and service also nothing to shout out about :(