Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hutong Food Court @ Lot 10 Shopping Centre KL

By now, most of you must have gone to or at least heard of this infamous foodcourt located at Lower Ground Floor of Lot 10 Shopping Mall. If you need any landmark, it's just outside of Isetan's foodmarket. If everything else fails, just ask and I'm sure many will point to you the same direction :P

Hutong is the brainchild of Tan Sri Francis Yeoh, Managing Director of YTL Group. If you still have no idea, just Google! Most (if not all) of the stallshere are handpicked by Tan Sri himself. It is said that Tan Sri himself loves to patronise all of the stalls that operate in Hutong at their respective original location before he came out with the idea of having them all under one roof. According to his marketing team, Hutong will be a gourmet’s heaven of street food vendors who have sustained their family recipes for no less than three generations, just like the YTL Group itself. Famous names like Honkee Porridge, Kong Tai from Singapore, Soong Kee's beef noodles, Mo Sang Kor's BKT & Kim Lian Kee's Hokkien Mee are just a few names that have set up the business here.

When I first came to this foodcourt, I was impressed by the selection of food & drink there. However, the set up was like a maze and I had difficulty in locating some of the stalls mentioned in the newspaper. It took me a while to locate Mo Sang Kor's stall which is located almost at the end of the food court. Oh did I mention that the ceiling was rather low??? Not a problem for me & Jenn though.. as both of us are not that tall anyway :P

I had Kong Tai's signature Hokkien Prawn Mee @ RM7.90. What I like about this Singapore's import is that the noodles have absorbed the flavours of the stock and yet retained its springy-ness without being too soggy. Not too dry nor wet. The presence of seafood such as fresh prawns and squids provided sweetness to the already lip-smacking gravy. It could be better if the wok hei is sufficient though! The accompanying sambal was not bad to be paried with the noodles.


Mo Sang Kor Bah Kut Teh @ RM16 - originated from Klang. Tan Sri himself is a big fan of their BKT. After tasting it for the very first time, we knew why. The BKT soup itself was packed with flavour and it was so intense that it left an aftertaste on our tounge. For RM16 which was quite steep IMO, there wasn't much soup for both of us to enjoy as part of the bowl was filled with spare ribs. Nonetheless, we love it to bits and when Jenn asked for more soup from the owner, he politely told us that they have no re-fill policy there in Hutong. Of course we were disappointed!!!

As for drinks, we had the usual Cham Ice from Kluang Station which got me wondered, is this kopitiam chain also in their 3rd generation?? Hmmm...

Leo's verdict - I wonder if all businesses are in their 3rd generation. Initially I wanted to try the Campbell Street Popiah and Kim Lian Kee's Cantonese yin yang but the former had not opened for business yet while the latter was in the midst of preparing ingredients. Word of advice... never go there too early as you might have to wait for a long time. I was there at 10.30 and most of them informed me that they start at 11am onwards! A BIG SIGH!!!

Ultimately, while Hutong may be a food court, it will not be just any other food court with the same old boring fare.

P.S: Non-halal :)

Disclaimer:1) I'm not paid to promote/endorse any particular event, restaurant or person in this blog. ALL are based on my unbiased personal opinion.2) My reviews are based on my personal taste and preference and therefore may vary for others.

16 comments:

Sean said...

my problem is the opposite of yours! i keep going too late, and some of the stuff is sold out. i've actually never managed to try the popiah yet, cos it's always gone by 6pm!

mamasoju said...

Leo, I havent been there yet -_-

J said...

LOL. I had the same problem with you (with the BKT).

It's delicious but the soup is really too little... :D

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

haha i have a problem with their low ceiling, not sure if you read my review..shows my hair almost touching the ceiling!

eiling lim said...

i've heard, and read but have not conquered. Looks like I'll need to pay them a visit since I've never even tried soo kee before. hehe

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to drop a comment on Kluang Station. I guess you could call it third generation in that the guy who started the chain is the grandson (maybe even great-grandson) of the founder of the original kopitiam at the railway station in Kluang. And no, I'm not linked to the kopitiam chain in any way! :D

cheers, lilian

thule a.k.a leo said...

Sean - LOL!!! I'm a morning person.. totally opposite of yours :P

melmel - what r u waiting for?? It's Mega Sales.. shopping and eating - best of both worlds!

J - that's why we went to their Berkeley outlet the next morning to eat.. cheaper and can add some soups! But it was darn hot and stuffy even though in the morning

Joe - LOL! Yeah.. I remember that!

eiling - go there while the Mega Sales is still ongoing.. so u can shop and eat at the same time

Lilian - thanks for verifying this fact :) appreciated!!!

vialentino said...

i tried this food court before .... by YTL one right...the food not bad ... but since now no longer working in KLCC...hardly come here to eat liow....

qwazymonkey said...

I've not been back in a while. Hope food quality is still good. But, to be honest, its a little over priced to pay for lunch. Cannot eat very often.

Ciki said...

i know the food is not bad. however, c&C refuse to pay a premium on hawker fare :P

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I think it's great that hawker fare at Hutong is accessible to people like me in the city who have restricted lunch hours. Can pop in and out quickly, well within the specified lunch hour. :-)

Babe_KL said...

The thing is I'm facing the same problem as Sean! Each time I go there past 6pm, almost all the goodies are gone :(

vialentino said...

wah wah...wat market u mention in my post? hahaha....invetment market? i am interested in this....hehehe

J2Kfm said...

RM16 for a bowl of BKT is steep, indeed. The original place serves that at less than half the price.
BUT ...
even the other Mo Sang Kor outlets limit their soup, mainly cz the meat-to-soup ratio is fixed, and prepared before the day. So they can't afford to serve diluted soup to every customer who request for refills.
Though they do agree to a scoop or so of refills.

kwpang said...

oh no bah kut teh again... can't help myself when i see them...

jade said...

Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic.

Food Truck Wedding