Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Madam Chiam Curry Noodle House @ Taman Connaught Cheras

To the loyal followers of Axian, you might have heard or come across this place which is located at the busy area of Taman Connaught in Cheras. Surprisingly I have not heard of it until my friend who saw Axian's program started asking me for direction to this place. Armed with a good sense of direction, I can easily pinpoint the exact location of certain places after the first visit. No wonder my friends still call me "Taxi Leo" until today... LOL! But if everything else fails, I still have Garmin module embedded in my E60 :P I hardly utilise my Garmin from the day I installed into my car... what a waste of RM2k++ spent!

Madam Chiam is very popular among those who live in Cheras. When one talks about chilly pan mee, this place would be among the first (if not the first) which comes to mind. Jenn & I stopped by for lunch one Saturday afternoon while on our way to her sister's house in Alam Damai. Parking can be a headache but you can take your chances by parking by the roadside.

Axian's bunting proudly displayed!

This place looked just like regular Chinese kopitiam with plastic tables and chairs. Good thing was that they have a unit of air-conditioner which made the whole place not-so-hot!

Dry chilly pan mee @ RM4.50 - practically the signature dish. Even though the signboard stated "Madam Chiam Curry Noodle House", you can spot a bowl of dry chilly pan mee on each and every table that you see. The thin pan mee resembled those of wantan mee but slightly thicker. It didn't disappoint! This dish really packed a punch after I put all the dry chilly flakes into the mee and stirred with chopsticks. The minced meat, anchovies, half-boiled egg & chilly flakes combined really well to make each and every slurp a delight! However, they served spinach soup instead of using sweet potato leaves that I like (which was quite a letdown)

Curry Pan Mee @ RM4.50 - Jenn's choice of curry pan mee was normal. The curry broth was good but not the best that she had! Cockle lovers take note - look closer :)

Both of us had the boiled chrysanthemum tea to counter the spicy-ness of the pan mee.

Madam Chiam Curry Noodle House
Jalan Cerdik, Taman Connaught Cheras

P.S: Non-halal

Leo's verdict - This particular restaurant serves only noodles such as traditional pan mee, chilli pan mee, curry noodles, wantan mee and the list goes on. I don't mind going back there again to satisfy my craving for chilly pan mee... after all, I have yet to find a place that can match its taste.

Disclaimer:
1) I'm not paid to promote/endorse any particular event, restaurant or person in this blog. ALL are based on my unbiased personal opinion.
2) My reviews are based on my personal taste and preference and therefore may vary for others.

16 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

We usually tapau the pan mee home. But the other day we decided to eat in the shop and the ladyboss seriously has some attitude problem. Rude-mannered! Did you encounter this too?

Gypsy On The Move said...

Thanks for recommending this. I am a huge fan of chili pan mee but I never heard of this place before so I think I'm gonna give this place a try!

Sean said...

i've never watched axian before. heheh :D
but aha! i love cockles! even though i've not eaten in cheras for nearly two years (!!!), i'll keep this place in mind if i ever head there sometime...

J said...

I am so afraid of the Cheras area so have never really eaten around there (scared of the epic traffic jams!).

eiling lim said...

yeah i realised all the restaurants/outlets that has been featured on axian has a bunting or his life size poster placed in the restaurant like it's an award or something like that! Cheras is a no no place for meeee

vialentino said...

wah...axian visited before...then must go and try and give my own judgement...

nice recommendation

PureGlutton said...

For pan mee, I always go for the traditional soupy type & the mee must be "pinched"!

qwazymonkey said...

Like Sean, I've never watched Axian, let alone venture into Cheras. Such and unadventurous monkey I am. Can I hire the service of Taxi Leo to get there ka?

foodbin said...

one of the many hidden gems in Cheras.

Ciki said...

You must try the pan mee in Serdang.. so YUMZ!

Bangsar-bAbE said...

The curry mee looks good enough for me! Especially when I saw the cockles. =P

thule a.k.a leo said...

baby sumo - yup!! Dark faced all the time.. don't care la! I only eat there! malas nak tengok her face

gypsy on the move - go ahead!

sean - by the time you reach there, it's already closed! LOL!!!

J - it's just the hype! Go there on weekends and you'll be fine!

eiling - why??

vialentino - will continue read ur blog :)

pureglutton - Hokkien style :) I love it too! My in-law make this dish occasionally! there's one in Subang Jaya SS19 :) I'm planning a visit there soon!

qwazymonkey - hire? of course... will charge you high high!!

foodbin - yup! been there before?

cumi&ciki - too far away la! not as adventurous as you and cumi :P

bangsar babe - yeah! the cockles were fresh :)

jason said...

Yeah, their chilli pan mee was decent. Spinach soup is a little bit weird but I'm okay with that.

Anonymous said...

Extremely agreed with Baby Sumo. Today was the first time I patronise this Pan Mee shop. The lady boss really has an attitude problem, she was very rude, very rude indeed, to the extend that I said to her while smiling:"I will never come again." and walked away.

Jessica said...

Hi, just so all foodies & animal lovers know, this this restaurant has been inhumane towards a cat : http://verysedap.blogspot.com/2011/04/cat-abuse-madam-chiam-curry-noodle.html

Anonymous said...

Madam chiam restaurant, very rude boss! I've never met a restaurant owner so rude in my life. Stuck up! BAN THIS RESTAURANT!!!