Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 2 - Tanjung Tualang & Ipoh's Wedding Dinner

Both Jenn & I were well-rested the next morning (^_^) Andy brought us to Medan Selera Kampar for brekkie but since our main objective for lunch was to feast on big head prawns in Tanjung Tualang, we only had a plate of curry CCF among ourselves. Since Andy had to work that day, he couldn't join us for the lunch. Therefore, I drove towards Tanjung Tualang leisurely as it was not lunch time yet!

Mention Tanjung Tualang and this place is no stranger to those who can't get enough of dai tao har (big head prawn in Cantonese). Despite the distance between this town and KL, this quaint little town is THE heaven for prawn lovers who do not mind driving for 2 hours++ during the weekend just to sink their teeth on these delectable crustaceans. Some bloggers even organised a Nirvana Bus Tour all the way here :P you know who you are!

Since it was still early when we arrived in Tanjung Tualang, I managed to snap some pictures of this rather quiet! If not for its freshwater prawns, this town would have been deserted! Andy told me that weekends are when all the restaurants here bustling with business. Sometimes you would see buses ferrying tourists from as far as Singapore or JB stopped to have lunch here.

Lung Seng Seafood Restaurant is one of the most popular places to savour the prawns here. If you happened to talk to your friends who have gone here before, most likely they would point you in Lung Seng's direction.

As I stood in front of the restaurants, the sight of the medium to large prawns was too much for me to resist! All of them were like screaming for me to choose them :P

Ever notice the orange-ish roe inside the prawn??

Clockwise from the top - plastic instead of table cloth is used so they can ta-pao everything quickly after the customers leave; Chinese tea is a must to wash down all the oil; and homemade chilly sauce

Not wanting to overwhelm our stomach with food like yesterday, we chose our dishes carefully this time. Stir fried paku-pakis (fern leaves) with belacan was perfect to whet our appetite. The green was crunchy and coupled with the tasty and slightly spicy belacan, we were soon ready to gorge on the upcoming dishes!

Deep fried soft shell crab came next! Super crunchy and not oily at all... coupled with sweet & sour dipping sauce, I was instantly in heaven! And if you are lucky enough, you would find sweet & soft crab roes in some of them!

The highlight was of course - Kon Cheen Har or Pan Fried Prawns with Superior Soy Sauce. To be honest, this version of prawns won my vote on both occasions when I was here. The caramelised prawns plus the sweet & salty soy sauce were really top notch.

We also had butter prawns too - imagine the sinful egg floss which had been infused with sweet tasting butter together with the fried prawns and you'd know how delicious it can be :)

The to-die-for sweet roes oozing out from the prawns' heads! Can you resist it??? Even if the health conscious ones call it artery clogging killer, I don't really give a DAMN!

A young girl came in and promoted her shaved ice with variety of flavours.. I chose red plum & lime but it was normal! Good to cool down the body though...

End of the meal (^_^)

Leo's verdict - Initially, Jenn & I wanted to add Soon Hock fish or aka marbled goby which was prized in its sweet firm flesh but it was not available on that day :( Jenn & I continued our journey to Ipoh a happy and satisfied couple! Our friend, Chi Meng, wedding dinner at New Oversea Restaurant, Jalan Datoh Ipoh was good but since I was busy catching up with friends whom I had not seen for ages... I didn't take any pictures. Hope that both of you lives happily ever after my friend!

Once wacky and crazy gang from University of Otago!

Lung Seng Seafood Restaurant
10 Jalan Besar
31800 Tanjung Tualang, Perak
Tel: 05-360.0735
Open daily from 11.30 a.m. - 9.00 p.m.

Other lip-smacking reviews from my fellow blogger whom I proud to call friends:
Cumi & Ciki
Precious Pea
Lots of Cravings
Lyrical Lemongrass

Disclaimer:
1) I'm not paid to promote/endorse any particular event, restaurant or person in this blog. ALL are based on my unbiased personal opinion.
2) My reviews are based on my personal taste and preference and therefore may vary for others.

7 comments:

KY said...

next time bring a plastic bag & net, seems like no one's looking out for the prawns :P hehehehe

Sean said...

oooh, i've noticed a coffee shop/restaurant in kota damansara that claims to serve tanjung tualang prawns. wonder if it's as good as the ones at the original location :D

thule a.k.a leo said...

KY - first time u post comment in my blog :) why don't u try do that first & if nothing ever happen, I'll follow suit :P

Sean - the price was outrageous at RM120/kg and the sizes of the prawns were puny compared to what we had here!

eiling lim said...

wow look at those succulent giant prawns. I used to go to tualang for the prawn noodle when I was living in Ipoh but now no more!!! sob...sob..

Ciki said...

my fav resto Tanjung Tualang.. and thank you for the link Leo, much obliged;)

J2Kfm said...

Yeah Lung Seng's one of the better ones, Luen Fong's one of the oldest yet slightly pricier.
Locals go to Yew Kei, and one other I forgot the name.

have they rebuilt the whole stretch of razed shophouses?

Babe_KL said...

wow what a prawny lunch you have!