Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 12, 2009

Chuang Chun Herbal @ Jalan Merdeka, Melaka Raya


Once in a while, I would go outstation for business trips. Normally I would head down South as most of my customers are concentrated in Melaka & Johor region. And I would ask my client to bring me to those nice places to eat while I'm there as it's easier to have a local to show me the way than trying to find it alone. But this time, I could only make it for dinner because I had to rush down to Johor after that. As I want to eat Peranakan food, my client took me to Melaka Raya... but the restaurant only opened its door for business at 6pm (we arrived 15 min earlier) so we parked out car and checked out nearby shops.

We noticed this herbal shop a few doors away. Even at this hour, the sun was still scorching hot and therefore, we decided to eat herbal jelly (guai ling gou) to cool our body. The layout of this outlet is similar to the most common herbal shop in Klang Valley... Kong Woh Tong.

Its interior is influenced by Oriental concept - oriental style tables and chairs, antique porcelain wares and paintings on the wall.

What differentiate Chuang Chun with Kong Woh Tong is the variety of selection of its herbal jelly. While the latter only serves original flavour, the former went further by offering other flavours... such as menthol, pearl, tian qi (a kind of chinese herb), lau san ginseng and longan herbal jellies. Intriqued, we placed order for their original, menthol and pearl herbal jelly.

Menthol herbal jelly - relieving of heatiness, soothing of throat, alleviating of discomfort of smoking & drinking, and diminishing of pimples and acnes. Basically it has the same effect as the original one but with the cooling flavour of menthol. The pearl herbal jelly is purportedly effective in rejuvenating effect & slowing of aging process, as well as relieving of heatiness and stopping of cough.

Leo's verdict - something different and refreshing from what I usually had in Kong Woh Tong. If only they offer menthol version like Chuang Chun does. It's jelly texture is firmer compared to those of Kong Woh Tong's which I prefer rather than soft and watery. Of course, apart from herbal jelly they also has other choices such as herbal tea, wong lou kat with super duper bitter powder (something that ciki didn't believe in due to her science belief).

Chuang Chun Herbal Sdn Bhd
No.22 A&B, Jalan Merdeka, Melaka Raya
Tel: 06-2815705

8 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yeah im heaty..got ulcers popping out from everywhere..

looks like i can do with some kuai ling koh

Unknown said...

wow so special?? i need that too, having a bad sorethroat

Sean said...

wah, u visit my hometown more often than i do! and i bet u actually know more places in eat in malacca than i do too :D
i like to have peranakan food whenever i'm back in malacca too, but it seems nowadays that the peranakan outlets in the klang valley, especially ss2, are equally as good

Paranoid Android said...

Oh... Chinese herbal shop. At least Guai Lin Go is the least icky and vile compared to the boiled stuff. Love the decor though. Modern Chinois Chic.

J said...

EEeee... Chinese medicine. :(
(I know it's supposed to be natural+good... but usually it tastes soooo bad!)

Rebecca Saw said...

Gui Ling Guo..I normally eat it with so much syrup..I wondered if I end up healthier or the otr way round!

Ciki said...

so scary and bitter!

~Christine~Leng said...

I was there too! for once ;P
did you try their "24 Mei"? Very bitter! but extremely soothing... haha